The lineage of the ‘Brighton Belle' can be traced back to the introduction of the daily ‘Pullman Limited Express' by the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway on the London Victoria to Brighton route on December 5, 1881 and its subsequent replacement by the 'Southern Belle' on November 1, 1908.
The ‘Southern Belle' was steam hauled until December 31, 1932, the line being electrified the following day as a result of a £2 million direct investment by the Southern Railway to extend electrification from London to Brighton, Hove and Worthing. The Southern Railway recognised that the future of the ‘Southern Belle' would need to take account of these changes, as well as reflecting the social changes of the 1930s, with stock needing to be light, fresh and creatively styled inside, whilst still retaining the traditional appeal of the Pullman Umber and Cream livery.
- Pullman, 5-BEL 'Brighton Belle', Unit No. 3053, Driving Motor Brake Parlour Third, Car No. 92 - Era 4
- Pullman, 5-BEL 'Brighton Belle', Unit No. 3053, Driving Motor Brake Parlour Third, Car No. 93 - Era 4